Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Good Purchase for a Good Cause

During my recent excursion into New York City to see the red and white quilts, our bus also took us to the Empire Quilters Guild annual exhibit and its vendors.  I have learned to second guess that whispered "Buy me!" that I hear as I pass by fabric that I haven't seen before or the newest gizmo that promises to bind a queen size quilt with no hand sewing while it is clearing out the dishwasher. But when something shouts "Buy me!" I have to listen and so it was as I passed a booth in the corner of the exhibit.  There on the counter was a basket filled with skeins of yarn beautiful to look at and heavenly to feel.
And I got to feel self-righteously good about buying it as well.  This is silk yarn made from recycled remnants of saris from factory floors in India.  A women's cooperative chops up the remnants and provides paid employment for women who spin them into yarn by hand using a drop spindle. As soon as I saw it I was imagining couching it onto a quilt top.  So for twelve dollars I got to take home a beautiful source of embellishment and to do a good deed.  Leilani Arts is the the group that sells this and other interesting yarns and ribbons.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cool on so many levels. Can't wait to see what it turns into next.