Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Finished!

It seems as though I have had many projects in the state of process for a long time.  One of my big projects is done but not ready to be photographed yet. And so I turned to some of my smaller projects this week. One began as an exercise in the painting on fabric class I took last February, although it seems it's been sitting around much longer than that.  I was trying a wash on wet fabric and the result was a great little piece with green fading into blue, with strong colors around the edges and light tints in the middle.  It was about the size of a page, 8 x 11" but not quite squared up--these were practice pieces,after all.  I loved the strong color on the edges and decided to leave it as is and create a small wall hanging around it.  I, of course, forgot to take a picture at this stage.  One day I will remember. . .

The colors strongly suggested a landscape and as I played with adding shapes to emphasize the blues and greens, I also began to see it as an old manuscript page or even a page from a book and so I added lines of color and surrounded it with a piece of my green hand-dyes.  I liked the idea of combining nature, writing, and quilting.  And here is "Text in Context":
It's now about 16 x 20" and once again I feel the real thing looks better than its photo.  Perhaps that's just an artist's excuse, comparable somehow to "The check is in the mail," but the light colors are delicate and don't show up well nor does the texture quilting I did on the green fabric.  But perhaps the photo is indicating a weakness in my work; perhaps it should have enough value contrast so that the elements are strong even in a photo.

Anyway, if you are still reading, thanks for the company!



3 comments:

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I know all about the photo thing...that happens to me all the time. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person when I get to PA again. I have always liked your work and I trust this one is better in person than on the internet :)

I think challenges stretch us and teach us....and I admire that you keep up with finishing your projects.

Smiles,
Kelly

quilthexle said...

Hmmmm ... at least your photographing skills are good enough to water my mouth when I see your work ;-)) I love the quilting you did on the green! and the handpainted fabric is wonderful, and how you put this all together is just great.

Jen Kuhn said...

Beautiful!! I love the yellow hand stitching, for some reason it just really calls to me.