Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Doodling

Wanting to extend my repertoire of hand stitching beyond the basic running stitch that I love so much and needing some small projects that I could use as a break from a larger  (I did not say interminable, but I thought it) project, I decided to challenge myself and commit to a stitching journal. I would choose a stitch, prepare a sandwiched "page," and then for two weeks I would play with that stitch working on structured and free form versions to see what kinds of patterns or texture I could produce with it. I thought two weeks would give me plenty of time, given the unpredictability of my schedule these days.

I chose the blanket stitch and dutifully produced a row of blanket stitches on the first day. That was a month and a half ago so I didn't exactly abide by the rules (I have plenty of good excuses I can roll out ranging from major house projects to some great adventures with grandchildren), but this week I declared myself done with this stitch, at least for now, and ready to move on. 


When I was learning machine quilting and made a commitment of fifteen minutes a day practicing, I ended up with a number of doodle squares that I could sell. I am not sure I will ever produce anything finished enough to put a price tag on with this project but you never know.

Next stitch will be the backstitch. I may have to work at coming up with creative forms for this one. Let's see what happens in two weeks!


3 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

This looks pretty darn productive to me....remember you are working by hand!!

Linda M said...

Looks like a good start to me!

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

I never thought to play with stitches like this and now that I've seen you do this, I just might....sometime....lol.