Pages

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Of Winged Things

I was walking down our driveway one morning when I saw this little beautiful little guy clinging to the clapboard on our house. I had never seen one before, but he looked a little like a crane fly--one of those giant mosquito-like insects that frighten many people who don't know that these creatures have no interest in human blood. So I began my search in the crane fly family and there it was: a Phantom Crane Fly, called a phantom because in the shadowy spaces under heavily leaved branches where it likes to hang out, all the black parts disappear and it looks a giant snowflake hovering in the shade.


And here is my rendition:



It has tiny wings, which it hardly uses because those enlarged black areas on the tarsi (toes) are a kind of air sack that makes it very light and able to catch the slightest wind so that it moves by being blown from place to place.


This is one cool insect!

The next week continued with more muted tones as I tried to suggest the patterns on a moth's wing (an ironically named Colorful Zale).




More colors will return next week. 

And I am linking to Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday!

1 comment:

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

This is such a great series. I just came across a blog I thought you might like. Check it out! https://chroniclesofwonder.wordpress.com/2017/06/02/photography-garden-views-on-a-beautiful-day-post-01/comment-page-1/#comment-67