Pages

Friday, February 1, 2019

Etude

Since I have embarked on a heavily textured piece that will involve months of work, it was time to explore some smaller pieces and add a few pieces to my raw edge applique series. A pile of red fabrics caught my eye for the background and I somewhat arbitrarily cut a rectangle about 8 x 11 inches and hung it up on the design wall to see what the next step would be. 

Since I was feeling adventurous, I cut a rectangle from a nearby golden orange piece of fabric and liked the glow it created. My traditional stitching that echoes the outline of the piece seemed too tame for this and so I began looking for something unstructured. 

And here is Etude 2, a warming presence in my studio:

It measures all of 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches and uses three different hand stitches as well as some machine stitching in the background.

Linked with Off the Wall Fridays.


2 comments:

Vic said...

Such a lovely piece! The composition, colors, and details work so well together. And of course, the elements inspired by nature are very much in evidence as well. I like this a lot.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Madalene, what a lovely piece. The stitching really adds to it.