Pages

Friday, January 11, 2019

Experience

The branching sketch caught my eye as I paged through one of my journals--simple but full of meaning. Perfect for the time of many decisions I found myself in last year.

Purple for the untextured part and then all those golds moving through yellows and browns for the layers.



But funny thing about a simple branching: in one direction it is separation--a decision made, a parting, an individualizing. From the other it is a joining, a strengthening, connection, unity.

And are all those layers of gold building up around the purple shape? Or has that moving shape cut through those layers revealing what was hidden, buried beneath our view?

The name of this small piece (18 x 25") is Experience--a word that holds its own contradictions since it means both a single, often memorable event as well as a slow accumulation of knowledge and life events.

And, of course, you may have come up with an entirely different interpretation--the reason I love abstract work.

Linked with Off the Wall Fridays!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I really, really like this piece. After reading what it means to you, it seems even better. Hope you have a more settled year this year. I too am hoping for a much healthier and happier year.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

This piece caught my eye. Such depth and texture.