Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

An Artist

At the invitation of a friend, I spent yesterday afternoon at the Ithaca (NY) Modern Quilt Guild listening to textile artist Hilary Gifford. It was well worth the trip. She has for years made a living selling one-of-a kind scarves created out of bits and pieces of fabric gathered from many sources, but her real love is creating her own fabric by painting with dye on silk, cotton, or whatever strikes her fancy. She then pieces these unique fabrics together into dynamic quilts or joins smaller pieces into framed collages.




Her work was inspiring, but her words connected with my own journey:

     --There must be "discovery in the making" or she loses interest in the piece.

    --"I make the art that I am drawn to make."  It may not be the most beautiful or the most easy to sell, but "it's what I have to make."




2 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

It's always nice to see and appreciate what inspiring artists create.

quilthexle said...

How beautiful - "I make the art that I am drawn to make" ... YES !!! Thanks for sharing, sometimes it's good to know there are "more" of us out there ;-))