Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Beginning



What, you may ask, is this dirty, sorry-looking piece? It is my very first entry into the world of quilting! One of the perks of preparing to move and having to rummage through rarely disturbed spaces looking for things to recycle or throw away is that I sometimes find a little surprise. Sometimes that surprise is the body of some long dead insect but today, hidden all the way in the back corner of the cubby in our dresser was the little quilt top that I made so long ago (1979?) and then turned into a pillow--a pillow that was used for many years, as the stains and wear attest.

I made this top in a class at a quilt shop in Pittsburgh, where we were living at the time (I can't remember the name of the shop or the teacher), and it was both pieced and quilted by hand.

There was nothing complicated about it, but something about creating pattern with fabric and thread began to turn my world and my view of it in an entirely new direction.

And if you are still reading, thanks for the company on my little trip back in time!

1 comment:

quilthexle said...

Oh yes, those were the days ... You did an amazing small quilt stitch - lovely!