I decided I wanted to use these stitches like quilting stitches, which meant I had to prepare a quilt sandwich. I pulled a hand-dye from my stash with a funky crackle that I had not been sure would ever be useful for anything. In other words, if this experiment flopped, I would not be overly distraught about having wasted the fabric. In order to stabilize the sandwich I did a bit of machine quilting that emphasized some of the color texture of the piece.
And here is a close-up of my first hand stitches that are just following the verticals:
The beginning. . .
And thanks for the company as I make these first steps.