Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Colors on the Radio

Perhaps it is the geek side of me, but I have always loved Radiolab, an NPR program that features hosts Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich who pick a topic and then start asking How? and Why? and What if?--sort of the way I work on a quilt except I am asking those questions of myself when I am fairly clueless and often have to figure out the answers with some experimentation and they are asking experts who actually have some knowledge on which to base their answers. But they do their fair share of experimenting as well.


Anyway, when looking for something to entertain me while I did some hand stitching, I discovered a
Radiolab show I had not heard that was indeed entertaining and informative and quilt-related as well. Its title and subject was Colors (and you can click on that title and listen to the program and ignore the rest of what I have to say).

But I have decided that if I ever have the opportunity, I would like to spend some time as a mantis shrimp, which can see many more colors than we can. I am finding it hard to imagine what the world looks like to these not-so-small creatures, but I certainly would like to experience it.  And it was heartening to hear that the more one focuses on color, as an artist--or a quilter--might, the more colors one can see--not a total surprise, because I have felt that my color sense has sharpened a bit over the years, but it is nice to have some outside verification of that.  There was also a fascinating discussion of the colors--and lack thereof--in Homer's epics, but you can discover that for yourself if you want to listen.

And, if you are still with me--and not off looking at the gorgeous colors of the mantis shrimp, thanks for the company!

No comments: