I decided to memorialize the occasion with a little snow dyeing--once the guys in the above picture got the power lines reattached after one of our huge old maple trees snapped them.
So here is what my quickie snow-dyeing produced: a lovely yellow that was supposed to have some ice blue mixed with it, which somehow disappeared, and a gorgeous purple that does have ice blue highlights and has some of that wonderful petal-ly texture of a good snow dye.
And then there is the ugly duckling that I made using up old (and I mean really old maybe one or two years old) fire red dye that I knew would not dye true, as well as some deep yellow and a touch here and there of ultra violet. When I was washing it out I had decided that this would be a good candidate for over-dyeing, but now I am not so sure.
The snow is all gone, except for the pile that came off the north side of the barn roof and we are back to April again. And if you are still with me, thanks for the company!