For my first attempt, I used some little tree stamps I had made in Jane's class to add some paint to a hand-dyed pieced of fabric:
I obviously added some stitching and some fused shadows. On the back of the card, you were supposed to put your name, e-mail address and then finish the phrase "A summer's day. . . ." I added ". . .is all about sunshine and shadow."
I decided on butterflies for the focus of the next postcard, and just happened to have a butterfly stamp that I made in Jane's class as well. I played with transparent and opaque paint and then topped the painted butterflies with a fabric one and added some quilting lines:
And on to my third! I was having a lot of fun by this time and decided to give my butterflies another try since I had already made the templates for the one above. This time, instead of stamping I decided on a fused background of large circles.
The gold thread I couched on the wings and the variegated pearl cotton scatter stitches gave it a zing. On all of these the background fabric was fused to Peltex and then the edges turned over to the back and fused to form a finished edge. Then the back fabric was fused on, covering the turned over edges. In all three I made use of those leftover bits of my hand-dyes that I hate to throw away.
The back of this reads "A summer's day is not complete without a butterfly."
Something kept me from finishing the second postcard, perhaps because I was feeling that it needed something more. So one day I started playing with adding bits of color. See what you think of my addition of some small rough cut circles to my final version.
I added my theme statement, "A summer's day brings sunshine and butterflies," put a backing on it, and declared it done!
Now I just have to add plastic sleeves and postage and send them off to Lenna.
And, if you are still reading, thanks for the company!