This year, instead of hand-dyes, his quilt top was hand painted:
This is one of the pieces that began life as an exercise in the fabric painting class I talked about in my last post. Our instructions were to try printing with string on a brayer and that technique produced the original blue lines that looked like bark to me. I did a brown color wash over that and finished it off with the leaf print.
At first I thought the print had not worked because the house was dry as the furnace fought the arctic temperatures we were having, and any paint on my palette or on the leaf itself dried almost immediately so the print was not as clear or "complete" as others I had done. But when I looked at it the next day I realized I liked it--and that it would make the perfect gift for my tree-loving husband.
I have not quilted it yet and that may change its look a bit so I thought I'd share it with you now. And, if you are still with me, thanks for the company.