Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

More Snow Experiments

Well, there has been snow on the ground for a while and so I had to put it to use.  It is a rather dry snow since the temperatures have been quite cold around here, and I kept waiting for a wetter snow, but finally gave in and started gathering my bins.

This year on the QuiltArt e-mail list, someone with the voice of authority wrote that to create fabric that looks significantly different from the regular low immersion dyeing, you must freeze your fabric before piling on the snow so I decided to give it a try, and here are the results:

The first is a mixture of cerulean blue and navy, the second dark brown, gray, and a bit of gold


Some diluted cerulean plus safari gray

And then I did another batch a couple of days later with unfrozen fabric:

This is kilt green (an older dye) with some ultraviolet and the next is kilt green, cerulean blue (a newer dye and more dominant) and a bit of gold
And here's my favorite:  ultraviolet and cerulean blue

Actually, I like them all and they all seem a bit different from my warmer weather dyes.  I'm not sure you can see it in the photos--perhaps clicking on them to enlarge them may help--but the unfrozen batch has this petal-ly, crystalline quality that I love in the snow dyes and the frozen fabric did not give that result, although that batch had these lovely lines of darker color so I cannot decide which batch totally wins out.  I did get more white spots with the frozen fabric.  To be honest, I was supposed to set the fabric out to freeze overnight again after I poured the dye on, and I forgot to do that.  So I guess that gives me a clear excuse to do some more snow dyeing.  We seem to be having plenty of nights cold enough to freeze wet fabric.

And if you are still with me, thanks for the company.


1 comment:

  1. Ohhh these are so interesting. This does not however mean I'm going to start dying fabrics :)

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete