I got the idea of hanging my tools from the edge of the table and went about quilting some fabric, folding it up to form custom-sized pockets for my seam ripper, scissors, ruler, and so on. Now the only problem was attaching it to the table. Since I liked none of the options I came up with, I put it aside--in one of my many disorganized piles.
Today, housebound by a beautiful snowfall, I picked it up again. My ever ingenious husband, home on a Thursday since even the university was closed, suggested first Velcro, which I had already dismissed since I didn't want to put gummy glue on the my table, and then suggested I try to find something thin to slide between the front support and the table top and then find a way to attach it to the pockets. I knew I had some very thin acrylic sheets I had used for templates at one time. I cut two to the proper size since I wanted it to turn the corner, sewed them to the back of the quilted pockets, Tom removed a couple of screws, we slid the plastic in, screwed through the plastic to hold it in place and there it was:
Now I just have to remember to put things back in their pockets when I use them. But I am savoring the feeling of having a small portion of my world under control, at least for a little while.